Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Da Rules

Orson Scott Card just put this bit up on his site, The Ornery American.

I may not agree with everything OSC says, but I do agree with a lot of it. We're alike in that we're both old-school Southern Democrats. I can think of worse names for myself than an Ornery American.

Anyhow... I'm gonna have to get my hands on both the books he mentions. Both Wisdom of Crowds and Guns, Germs, and Steel look to be fascinating reading.

There are two principles struggling, here. Common "wisdom" has it that mobs are stupid. It's easy to manipulate a mob. I've done it. But on the other hand ... It can be argued that under the right circumstances, we are far wiser collectively than individually.

Check it out. It'll give you something worthwhile to think about.

No comments: