Friday, March 12, 2010

Video Del Fuego, Part XXV

Here's a nifty video of a simulated Mars mission, made with a freeware space simulator, Orbiter. Orbiter can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it. There's a spaceplane with an autopilot so good that it'll fly itself into orbit, letting you enjoy the ride; and there's a faithful reproduction of the Apollo spacecraft -- complete with realistic control panels -- that lets you experience the Moon landings like nothing else.

The video parallels the Stephen Baxter novel, Voyage, which was a fairly interesting read. The architecture made me itch, though; they move stuff around waaay too much for my taste. If something went wrong with any of those transposition maneuvers, the crew is utterly screwed.



Still, I want this mod, so I can try it myself.

No comments: